The NIKKEI ASIA AWARD is a project to recognize innovation originating in Asia, sponsored by Nikkei Inc. “Innovation from Asia” is any activity that promotes the transformation of Asia and the world, and supports the realization of a free and prosperous economic society from the Asian perspective based on the diverse values.
An individual and/or a group is commended for activities in fields such as business, research, technological development and social/artistic activities. An individual or a group responsible for a single activity is chosen as the winner annually. The prize is FIVE MILLION yen.
HOW TO APPLY
Open call for nominations on this official website once each year. You may nominate a candidate through the nomination form, which will be available at the bottom of this page during the nomination period. The information of the nominator will not be announced.
Candidates MUST meet the following conditions:
- Nominated by others. Direct applications will not be accepted.
- From or living in Asia*.
- Contributing to Asian-based activities which have started in Asia.
※ Japanese individuals and groups consisting only of Japanese citizens will be excluded.
For the Nikkei Asia Award, the following regions are referred to as "Asia":
- East Asia (Korean Peninsula, China, etc.)
- Southeast Asia (Indochina, ASEAN member countries, etc.)
- Southwest Asia (Indian subcontinent countries)
- Independent nations in the Asia-Pacific region
Winner selection is a comprehensive evaluation of activities that meet the following evaluation criteria:
- Being novel and innovative
- Creating a free and prosperous economic society by revitalizing the region and improving lives
- Having continuity in activities and businesses, and expectations of future growth and expansion
- Having social influence and expectations to expand globally.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Ideal candidates are as follows:
- Currently active
- Young people are welcome, if their work has received recognition.
- Candidates need not be well known, as long as they have conducted steady and sincere efforts toward the betterment of people’s lives, and contributed to prosperity.
※Having already received such awards as the Nobel Prize or the Kyoto Prize would be of little significance.
- The results will be announced on this website, in the Nikkei and in the English-language media, Nikkei Asia.
- We will not be able to confirm whether a candidate meets the application requirements or respond to any inquiries regarding the status of the candidate's application.
EVALUATION PROCESS & TIMELINE
The following schedule is subject to change without notice.
1 Month after the deadline
All the information including recommendation comments and candidate information entered in the nomination form will be screened by the Nikkei Asia Award Admin as to whether they meet the application qualifications and evaluation criteria.
The activities of all candidates will be evaluated by the Nikkei Selection Committee according to the evaluation criteria. The top five individuals or groups will proceed to the second selection.
Each candidate who makes it to the secondary selection will be evaluated by the members of the advisory board according to the evaluation criteria.
Finalists are selected by the selection committee, based on the evaluation criteria.
Inform the award winners that they have won and obtain their consent to the award.
Award winners will be announced on this website, the Nikkei and the Nikkei Asia.